Wednesday 2 April 2008

Update on little Sis, oh and speedy gonzales!!

Just a quick update for all you out there, Sis went to see the Neurosurgeon on Monday and he confirmed the wavy eye is part of her MS, he has told her because it's only in one eye she can carry on driving as long as she wears an eye patch over the other eye, Dr Hook eat your heart out!!.

She did come out feeling a little more positive though because he seemed to think due to the fact the steroids had stopped it getting any worse it should just disappear of it's own accord.

He has advised her not to go for her MRI scan today but to leave it a couple of weeks to see if it has settled down, so she is now due to go on the 14th April.

Speedy? You may well ask? Mum has been for her check up today and been told everything is mending well and she can now drive again, that's a joke she's been driving for over a week, but anyway, she rang me at lunchtime and asked me if I thought she ought to go to Asda on her own, ermmmm no not really because she can't bend right down to pick things up. So I offered to take her after work because I wanted a few bits and pieces anyway.

So after work I went to her's and she had cooked my tea, bless her, they don't change do they?? After tea we set off for Asda, well it's the first time she has got in my car since before the op and it's a bit low slung and she really used to struggle before.

But oh no not this time in she bounced like a spring chicken, it's the best I have seen her get in a car in years.

When we got there I had barely stopped and the door was open and she was swinging herself out and trotting across for a trolley. I tried to stop her but no she wasn't having it off she went.

She did say I would have to bear with her because she would be slow but as we walked in Asda my mobile rang and I turned round to look for her and she was half way down the store, trotting off like a good un.

So we wandered round and got her a good big shop in and she is trying to push the trolley, well we all know what shopping trolley's are like at the best of times, they never go where you want them to, but Mrs independent is marching off with hers, till I reminded her it would pull my hip let alone hers, so the compromise was she would push and I would guide.

When we got back to hers I was determined to manage all the bags in one go so she wouldn't be tempted to pick one up and I marched straight in the house emptied everything out and put it away before she got a look in, thankfully she had decided to go to the shed as we got in so I managed to get her out of the way for long enough.

When she walked back in she was mortified, I had robbed her of something to do other than stare at four walls....lol...sometimes I can't win.

I am hoping this lovely weather we have had for the last couple of days is going to keep up because at least she can go and potter in the garden if she wants.

I must say I am amazed at how well she has come on in the last couple weeks it's not so long ago she was crying down the phone wishing she hadn't had it done and now look at her.

I am so pleased she is finally going to get her Independence back.

9 comments:

Elaine Denning said...

That's fantastic news all round! I'm so pleased for both of them. Looks like it's onwards and upwards for everybody :)

BenefitScroungingScum said...

Great news for everyone, I'm so pleased! BG x

Vi said...

Good news on both family members! I can just imagine your mum zipping around Asda! lol.

Lady in red said...

brilliant news for both of them.......lol I really had to laugh at you putting your mum's shopping away....I discovered that sometimes they just want to do these things for themselves but it is hard for us when we just want to help them.

Our mum's spend all these years looking after us then when we get the chance to look after them they rob us of the oportunity just so they can have something to do ....very selfish really lmao

Dark Side said...

Miss - I do hope so..xx

Bendy - Thanks..xx

Vi - Yep it was quite funny, just turned round and she had gone...lol..xx

LiR - Thanks for your support babe, it's good to have someone who has been through it too..xx

Anonymous said...

Awww, Emma, that is great news on both counts!

It must be such a huge relief for all involved....

Have yourself a lovely weekend babe!

Hugs,

Lins x

Anonymous said...

Sounds like your mum is doing really well Emma, I am really pleased to hear she is recovering well from her operation. It sounds like it has done her the world of good!

kingmagic said...

Nice one Emma.

x

Evening said...

Oh Emma, this is such good news on both accounts. I was so worried about your sister. I am really glad to hear, at least it sounds a little better than expected for right now. Although, I am sorry that she has to deal with MS and it's devastation, at all.
And your mom sounds like she is doing terrific.
Oh, this is just wonderful news!!!