Tuesday 3 July 2007

RAC to the Rescue or NOT!!!!

It started at 7am yesterday morning when I thought I was being followed by a boy racer, you know the ones with the booming exhausts...only when I took my foot off the accelerator I realised it was my exhaust blowing like a train coming into the station.

After a very slow and increasingly noisy journey into work I finally got there. I rang my local garage straight away and he advised me to go to the local branch and they would order the exhaust so that I could get it fitted this morning.

On walking into work it quickly because apparent that I was going nowhere until much later on, one staff member rang in sick, another is on holiday and the only one I was expecting in at 9am was bloody late.......note to self this is going to stop....argghhhh.

So the day progressed brilliantly with me trying to answer four phones, sort out consultants and management all at the same time. On top of this I opened 3 emails telling me we where no longer allowed to smoke on site and if we did it would result in disciplinary action.....yeah ok I know this please don't thrust it at me when I am feeling most like lighting up...lol...

I got through the day smoke free I might add, though I did have one ready for the minute I pulled off site. I set off and the exhaust noise was getting worse I couldn't hear myself think. I had gone about four miles and braked at a roundabout and heard this almighty clash so I cruised off the roundabout into a dead end and looked under the car.

There in all it's glory was my exhaust trailing on the floor, ok no problem I am in the RAC, well so you would think. I should have realised how long it would take when I sat on hold in a queue for 20 minutes waiting for them to answer my call. I finally got through at 7.20pm to be told they where extremely busy and wouldn't be able to get to me for at least an hour, I tried the I am a woman on my own but that didn't work either, I was already classed as a priority.

At 8pm I got another phone call from them informing me they would be with me between 9 and half past, it was ok, now you are taking the piss, I was getting cold, I didn't want to add insult to injury by sitting there with the radio on and running the battery down so I rang KT who, bless her arrived within 15 minutes armed with chocolate flapjacks and biscuits.

About 20 minutes later, KT's is not my boyfriend turned up and walked to Burger King to get coffees, thanks to these two it passed the time brilliantly he is such a scream, I was nearly in need of Tena Lady's by the time I got the call from the RAC man at 9.50pm.

He was really apologetic and was ready for getting a ear full from me by what he said, but at the end of the day it was not his fault and I was not going to start shouting at him, he had actually been pulled all the way from Leeds, which is 60 miles from me.

He was only there a couple a minutes put some bonding in the exhaust to get me going again and left.

So three hours and only 2 miles from home I finally walked in the door at 10.20pm.

The car has now gone to the local garage and is sat there waiting a new exhaust which should be done in a couple of hours.......The only good thing is I have wangled the morning off work but after yesterday's 11 hour shift I think I have earnt it......

10 comments:

Annette said...

The RAC kept you waiting all that time? That's disgusting.
I know what it's like to have your exhaust drop off....mine did in the middle of a busy road! I had to get out of my car and retrieve it!And it wasn't a part of the exhaust....it was the whole thing.It is huge!
I took it to the garage and it was mended in about an hour.
I never felt such a fool in all my life, picking that thing up in the road...everybody was laughung!

Vi said...

That IS disgusting!!!!!!

I'd look at changing if I was you. I'm with Tesco (Green flag) and I've never waited longer than 30 minutes.

Too Fat To Fly... said...

Blimmey, that doesn't sound good for such a HUGE organisation as the RAC.

My dad had similar trouble with them years and years ago. That's why he didn't bother to renew his membership with them :-(

What a day you had! It must have felt like you were never going to get home?

I'm glad that you were able to get the morning of work, though you really deserved the whole day given the 11 hour shift you'd put in :-0

Look after yourself, hun...

Fingers crossed for NO more mishaps! LOL

xx

SIMON said...

What a day Emma.
RAC I'd change to someone else, no relly it's a very competitive field these days it never used to be and the RAC and the AA know that and should get their act together.
I've just posted the tag you lumbered me with!!
Take care

PC South West said...

I fired the RAC when they took over 2 hours to get to my wife who was in sub zero temperatures late at night. I hear that they lost their contract with Ford also.

Anonymous said...

Bicycles rule! ;-)

Elaine Denning said...

You poor thng Emma! Why, when a crisis happens, does another one happen straight on top? Not fair!
I agree with the others...go to a different company. For a woman on her own at night, that really sucks.

Midnight said...

The third rate emergency service should be their slogan by the sound of things! Fancy leaving a damsel in distress like that.

Anonymous said...

Ummm rings a bell Dad had the same issues with RAC when we broke down about 18 months ago going on holiday… it was nothing but chaos with them!

cheekyfaces said...

Garages=£££££££. Hello again Em, hope you got my email! ;o)