Wednesday 23 May 2007

My faith has been restored! It really is just a small Minority!!

No it's ok I am not religious or anything like that, but over the last couple of weeks we have been trying to organise away coach travel for rugby matches for under 18's.

The club always used to allow under 18's to travel until one of the couriers stuck their beak in and they were subsequently banned from travelling unless accompanied by an adult.

A little background is we have been couriering coaches for well over 20 years and in all that time have had very little trouble. So mum and me decided that we had to look after the kids because after all they are the future supporters of the club.

So I printed a load of flyers off and for the last two weeks games we have stood and handed the flyers out before the matches explaining to kids and parents alike that the club will no longer take them. It has been a bit of a gamble because we have to pay for the coaches up front but I am pleased to say it looks like the gamble is paying off.

Back to restoring my faith, we are dealing with mainly 14-18 year olds and I am so surprised at the response we have had from them, everyone of them is so grateful that we want to help them out, all the kids we spoke to on Sunday especially the lads were all pleasant and friendly and showed no signs of what they are perceived as in today's society.

It is also great to know that the parents have shown so much concern for their kids welfare with the questions they have asked us, so yes my faith is restored in human nature and it has become obvious to me more so then ever that all kids deserve a chance and let's not just go with what the majority thinks these days and put them down before we have dealt with them.

I have always believed for the most that it stems from their upbringing and unfortuntely going back a couple of generations is when things started to slip, I was always taught right from wrong and knew without a shadow of a doubt that if I was wrong I would suffer for it, I don't condone hitting kids because where do you draw the line? But I will also admit that If I did something wrong I was terrified of what would happen when my dad found out.

But I have to add a respectful terrified not fearing for my life, I will always remember telling my dad to fuck off at 14 years old thinking I was so clever, well I didn't think I was so clever when he chased me upstairs and as I locked the bathroom door to hide he knocked it off it's hinges, me cowering by the wash basin and my mum screaming at him. He was so shocked he forgot what I had said. I never though and would never have chanced it again....in hindsight it was quite funny!!!

The moral of all this for me is to give kids the chance you would give anyone else and it is certainly a very small percentage that let the side down.

Right back off my moral soapbox to hang the washing out....food for thought I hope...

3 comments:

funny sparky said...

LOL, I recall using the word "dickhead" for the firt time within earshot of my Pa...considering he was a military man, over 6' tall too, it was another case of hiding in the bathroom, which only made it worse long term! Mmm , never said it again when I knew he was around!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like your dad was like mine! lol

Dark Side said...

I loved him so much too he was my original soul mate, he's been dead 17 years and I still miss him everyday..x